Google Search

Google

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Time flies! It's already 2007. I remembered 1997 clearly as if it's yesterday... I was studying in Hong Kong back then. MAN! 10 yrs have passed! I was 17 yrs old back then, finished my YEAR 11 (Cambridge GCE O' LEVEL) in June 1997 and proceeded to year 12 TWO months later. Back then, I stayed in a HSBC Apartment in Victoria Peak. I studied at the prestigeous Island School (International British school), Mid Levels, Hong Kong.

I followed my Business Studies class trip to Shanghai, China AND worked 2 weeks in Star Cruises, Hong Kong as a Clerk during the Summer of 1997.

I bought Nike AIRMAX 97' with my 1st paycheque. The most expensive sneakers I ever bought (till today) at HK$1149 (RM500)... Spent a lot of money buying Quiksilver Merchandises, most are still in my wardrobe...

THE HIT Movie back then was TITANIC. A friend of mine watched the movie 20 times. Hit Hong Kong Movie are "YOUNG AND DANGEROUS IV" (Ku Wak Chye) starring Ekin Cheng.
So hit that my INDIAN and Korean classmates also follow.

The hit dance was MACARENA and YMCA. Hit band(s) was Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys (Nick Carter was only 16 then), OASIS, and Hanson. Hit Cantopop singers were Sammi Cheng, Andy Lau AND Nicholas Tse. Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera just started their singing career (both are only 16). Oh! Leann Rimes too just launched her 1st album at 13 yrs old!

SPORTS: Pete Sampras are world No 1, Manchester United won the 1997 English Premier League, Tiger Woods won his 1st Masters (at 21 yrs old), Our Men's double badminton players Cheah Soon Kit/Yap Kim Hock were world no 2 (behind Rexy/Ricky), Nicole David won her 1st World Junior title at 14 yrs old...

I learned driving at that year, though I failed 3 times before giving up eventually (Hong Kong driving instructor's very strict). Got my license in Malaysia 2 yrs later (1999).

Also, I "witnessed" the Handover of Hong Kong from British Colony to China. Lady Diana was killed in a High Speed Car Crash in Paris on 31 August 1997. It's the 1st week of September 1997 when RECESSION came... Currencies and Stock markets worldwide came tumbling down... In Hong Kong, Car prices also went down by up to 20% at the end of 1997. Lots of people were retrenched BUT strangely, my DAD got a promotion in the midst of recession...

Again, TIME FLIES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment