Google Search

Google

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Aaargghh! It's 2009 now, 12 years passed... Missed 1997!

Aarrrggh!!! 12 yrs passed… Missed 1997! How times flies... It's 2009 now... How I missed 1997, the best year of my life...

Time flies! It’s already 2009… Panic Panic!!! 12 yrs have passed. The year’s 1997, it’s "THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE"! Let’s take a trip down to Memory Lane: 1997…

I remembered 1997 clearly as if it’s yesterday… Remembered 80% of what happened back then (compared to 40% btw 2005-2007)…

I was studying in Hong Kong back then (dad transferred there from HSBC KL Branch to Hong Kong HQ). I was 17 yrs old at that time, finished my YEAR 11 (University of London GCE O’ LEVEL) in June 1997 and proceeded to year 12 TWO months later. Back in Malaysia for 2 weeks in between. Back then, I stayed in a 3000sq.ft HSBC Apartment in "The Peak" complete with FULL "Victoria Harbour view". I studied at the prestigious Island School (International British School), Mid Levels, Hong Kong.


I followed my Business Studies class trip to Guangzhou, China (Where I Drank whole bottle of Corona (Beer) for 1st time) AND worked 1 week in Star Cruises, Hong Kong as a Clerk during the Summer of 1997. I bought Nike AIRMAX 97′ with my 1st paycheque. The most expensive sneakers I ever bought (till today) at HK$1149 (RM500)… Spent a lot of money buying Quiksilver AND POLO RALPH LAUREN Merchandises, most are still in my wardrobe…

ENTERTAINMENT:

THE HIT Movie back then was TITANIC. A friend of mine watched the movie 20 times (a teenage girl). Hit Hong Kong Movie are "YOUNG AND DANGEROUS V" (Ku Wak Chye) starring Ekin Cheng. So hit that my INDIAN and Korean classmates also follow. Oh! Famous actress Athena Chu Yan acted in "Category III" movie.

The hit dance was MACARENA, "My oh my!" and YMCA. Hit band(s) in The UK (and Hong Kong) was Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys (Nick Carter was only 16 then), OASIS, and Hanson. Hit Cantopop singers were Sammi Cheng, Andy Lau. Nicholas Tse just released his 1st album (He's only 17 back then). Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera just started their singing career (both are only 16). Oh! Leann Rimes too just launched her 1st album at 13 yrs old! Rapper "NOTORIOUS BIG" was Shot dead, A song was written dedicated to him: "I'll be missing you" by P. Diddy and Faith Evans.

SPORTS: In tennis, Pete Sampras are world No.1 and Michael Chang world No.2, Manchester United won the 1997 English Premier League, Tiger Woods won his 1st Masters (at 21 yrs old), Our Men’s double badminton players Cheah Soon Kit/Yap Kim Hock were world no 2 (behind Rexy/Ricky), Nicole David won her 1st World Junior title at 14 yrs old…

At that year, my dad bought a USED 4 yrs old "Acura" (Honda) Legend 3.2L for about RM80,000 equivalent (Sold it in 2001 for a mere RM20,000). I learned driving at that year, though I failed 3 times before giving up eventually (Hong Kong driving instructor’s very strict). Got my license in Malaysia 2 yrs later (1999).

Also, I "witnessed" the Handover of Hong Kong from British Colony to China (though only on TV Live telecast). Lady Diana was killed in a High Speed Car Crash in Paris on 31 August 1997. It’s the month of August 1997 when RECESSION came… Currencies and Stock markets worldwide came tumbling down… In Hong Kong, Car prices also went down by up to 20% at the end of 1997. Lots of people were retrenched throughout Asia, hence the name "Asian Financial Crisis".

Malaysian currency dropped... From RM1 = HK$3 to RM1 = HK$2 or From USD1 = RM2.55 to USD1 = RM4.20 (before Tun Dr Mahathir pegged the Ringgit to USD1 = 3.8. Whole Asia stock market plunged...

Also, I MADE a LIFE GOAL PLAN BACK in 1997 and guess what? Almost NONE were met (ONLY ONE goal earlier than planned, own car at 21 - planned 23)… Only 2 are still on: 1) I’m supposed to made my 1st million by 2012, 2) Get married on 11/11/11, 11am.

Again, missed 1997 to 1998!!! I HAD forgettable and meaningless between years 2004 to 2007 - mid Millenium).

That's all folks, thanks for having the patience to read this "rambling" of mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment